General Description of the Faculty
The Faculty of Medicine was established in 1948 as a branch of the Faculty of Medicine of the Slovak University, later called Comenius University in Bratislava. Then in 1959, the Faculty of Medicine and the Faculty of Philosophy merged, which led to the foundation of a new university in Eastern Slovakia, called Pavol Jozef Šafárik University in Kosice.
The Faculty is growing since than having an established reputation both locally and internationally.
The modern complex of the Faculty of Medicine and the University Hospital are located in the same place creating an integrated system. Theoretical departments are providing solid academic background for our students, while the clinical aspects are emphasized in the modern University Hospital. Students have an outstanding opportunity to work with patients under the supervision of highly qualified academic staff. The University Hospital has 1,107 beds and admit about 28,000 patients annually. The number of outpatients is little over 300,000.